Asking the following question might appear trivial: Why is lighting essential to architecture? The answer may seem obvious. It is impossible to imagine a space without lighting! Ironically, lighting is often one of the last components factored into a project budget, far behind materials, plumbing or even equipment. Still, it is a crucial feature that gives life to your projects; it should not be regarded as a mere add-on. We invite you to discover the ways in which lighting can shape individuals’ experiences in a given space.
Three Key Benefits of Lighting in Architectural Design
The first benefit is quite clear: lighting defines the function of a room. Thus, choosing the appropriate lighting helps create the desired atmosphere according to the designated use of the space and the activities that take place there. You will not use identical lighting when designing office space and creating a luxurious hotel lobby: both environments have very distinct uses.
The second benefit of lighting is its psychological impact on our perception of a particular space. For example, it might be the effect on visual comfort and individual productivity. In this case, the choice of colour temperatures or even the size and the area of a lighting system might influence our perception of a given space. In an article penned by Lilly Cao in ArchDaily, the reviewer addresses the perception of spatial magnitude based on the type of lighting used. You can read more here: How to virtually enlarge spaces using good lighting
The third advantage of lighting in architecture is its technical dimension. The constant progress of LED technology opens the door to energy upgrades, among other things, as well as significant cost savings when selecting energy-efficient lighting solutions. Architectural projects might often become overly complex, and the economical component of a venture should be seriously considered in the long term. We should opt for energy-efficient lighting solutions to ensure cost and energy savings so as to ensure profitability of the initial investment. If you would like to know more on this topic, read our article on the cross effect of lighting conversion, and do not hesitate to contact our dedicated project team!
How can Stanpro products resolve an architectural issue?
Stanpro’s major strength lies in its wide choice of lighting products that offers the possibility of selecting the lighting fixtures best suited to meet your needs. Be it a residential or commercial application, our company tailors solutions for all types of spaces while respecting the most recognized certifications in Canada.
Our specification sales team specializes in projects that involve working with architects, designers, and even engineers. Do not hesitate to call them to learn more about our products! Draw on their expertise to find the lighting solution that meets your needs, be it a cost-saving or customized solution. Please know that we have the internal capabilities to examine your specific requirements and tailor a solution with the help of our internal engineering, certification and production departments!
Most Popular Lighting Essentials for All Architects & Interior Designers
1. Linear Architectural: Our range of architectural linear fixtures is the architects’ favourite given that it proposes elegant, stylized products that enhance large spaces. Many of our own specification employees are partial to our L3CTG fixture; they value its modular quality, compatible with 15/16’’ suspended ceilings that are widely used in commercial spaces.
2. Downlights: We offer a large selection of downlights that suit a wide range of needs, but our architectural downlights are the optimal choice on projects that demand very specific lighting characteristics! Watts, volts, colour temperature, light flux, CRI or colored finishes… whether you are looking to use them on new construction or in retrofit projects, you are sure to reap the benefits!
3. Decorative Pendants: Clients and designers alike appreciate our assortment of decorative hanging fixtures; they bring a stylish touch to a room. The broad range of interchangeable accessories offers several finishes, colours and shapes that mix and match beautifully to all types of spaces!
4. Track Lighting: Track lighting system is quite popular in retail stores as well as an excellent choice for various types of commercial or residential applications that require accent lighting. Projectors serve to angle the light so as to focus on architectural details, art pieces or accessories, all with respect to the use of the space. They can be easily removed, switched and adjusted. We also recommend the TLL for more overall lighting.
5. Emergency Lighting: You might not have expected to find this item on our list of recommendations, but it is now featured in our architect’s essentials! Since 2020, emergency lighting no longer needs to be an eye sore and can be incorporated in an architectural space! The LINK is our emergency conversion module; it allows you to use our fixtures as emergency lighting. Discover the list of our compatible products here!
” The TLL is not a common track head and is not often seen in the industry; it’s a linear luminaire that can be added to a standard track system. I like the fact that it’s a simple install and quick fix when you don’t have enough general lighting when using standard projectors to light a space. It also gives a unique modern look to the classic track lighting design. ”
– Sharon Fahey, Market Channel Manager – Showrooms & National Accounts
In the end, there is no doubt that lighting plays an essential role in architecture! Light enhances each surface of a room, as the light source affects the aesthetics, shapes, dimensions, colours and even the energy of the space. What are your thoughts?